Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

L'aiguille en Fete


Today I braved the cold weather and headed up to La Villette for L'aiguille en Fete. This International trade show is for needlecraft enthusiasts. You will find everything here from quilting and knitting to embroidery. The show was 12 euros to get in, but it was well worth it. The booths were filled with threads, buttons and fabrics. I could have easily spend A LOT of money on cross stitch kits, and fancy threads. I did splurge and bought some metallic thread, sequins and buttons. I also bought some ceramic heart pendants made in France. I can't wait to make a new necklace with them!

The show was full of inspiration from freehand embroidery to beautiful quilts made from cross stitch patterns. I have come away from the show with a renewed passion for my embroidery. My favourite pieces that I saw at the show were beautiful embroidered scenes of gardens full of flowers. From far away, they looked like photographs but close up they were a wonderful mixture of french knots and beads.
I totally recommend this show to anyone interested in fiber arts of any kind.
I usually attend these types of shows with my mom in Toronto, so the only thing that could have made this show better would be if she were here with me.
Below are some photos from the exhibition of costumes from theaters and operas that were on display at the show.




1 comment: