Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

YSL Retrospective


Tuesday morning I got up early and set off to Petit Palais for the Yves Saint Laurent Retrospective. I had tried to go the week before, but after waiting in line for over half an hour only to find out that the wait was at least another two hours to get in, I decided to come back another day before the exhibit opened.
I picked a morning that was raining thinking no one else would stand in the rain waiting for an exhibit to open. I was wrong. As I walked up towards Petit Palais from the Seine, I could see about 50 people waiting there already. I guess I was not the only one with the idea to come early.


Once the doors opened to the exhibit, I was finally granted access to see the fashions created by the legendary YSL. The retrospective showed over 300 designs of haute couture and ready-to-wear, from his start in 1958 with Christian Dior to loosely pleated chiffon gowns in his final collection in 2002. The collections were divided up into different rooms to showcase the stages of the designers career. From "Trapeze" dresses to tuxedos for women, every noted design in the fashion industry was there.



Of course, my favorites were the haute couture pieces. I was thrilled to see the Iris jacket on display embroidered by Lesage. Since studying with Lesage, I have am able to spot their amazing hand embroidery and beadwork easily!
One room was dedicated to evening gowns that were dripping with crystals, bows, sequins and beads. I never wanted to leave this room!


Longtime partner Pierre Berge painstakingly conserved all of Saint Laurent's work, including scraps of cloth to put this show together. I think he truly captured the magic that is brought to life in the Yves Saint Laurent designs.
Overall, it was a great retrospective and a MUST SEE for all fashionistas!

No comments:

Post a Comment