Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Nature Capitale


Yesterday, I had the bright idea to venture out into the 30 degree weather to check out the Nature Capitale at Arc de Triomphe. Along with over a million people, my boyfriend and I stepped onto the metro on our way to Champs Elysees. We took the RER line for some of the way to avoid the rush in the metro. Once on the train, I suddenly felt a rush of heat that almost knocked me over. Stupidly, I asked my boyfriend "Where is the air conditioning!?" He looked at me and with a little smirk and told me that there is no air conditioning in the public transit.

I have never been so glad to get off the subway as when we arrived at our destination. Going up into the street, and looking up at the Arc de Triomphe was pretty spectacular. However, once I started to look around I noticed that you could barely move around since there were so many people there!
The street was closed down, and there were plants, trees and even vegetables growing where there are usually hundreds of cars driving up the Champs Elysees. This was a PR event that was to remind Parisians of what the country looks like! There were palm trees placed around street lights, and cows just hanging out in the middle of the road.



There were french farmers there drawing attention to all french grown or made products. From mustard to lavender there were booths set up to promote it. I have to admit that I did love this girl's cheese skirt that was obviously advertising french cheese!


In true french fashion, you could also purchase wine and oysters on the side of the road. There were people standing around drinking and eating in the hot summer sun.
At least the summer weather seems to have arrived in Paris. Hopefully it is here to stay! Now, I just need to get used to riding the metro in 100 degree weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment