Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

J'adore Dior at Bon Marche

Earlier in the week I had seen advertisements in the Paris Metro for a Dior exhibit at Bon Marche. Bon Marche is a large luxury department store in Paris that you may remember from an earlier post where I wrote about it! Today I decided to check out the exhibition, and I am so glad I did! This exhibition showcases the difference between the elegant designs that Christian Dior produced in the 1940's and 1950's and the more flamboyant style that John Galliano brought to the house.





Photos courtesy of Eternellement Dior

A few of the couture pieces on show were heavily decorated with beadwork and embroidery. This renewed my love for the work of couture. Each bead and stitch done by hand, to create a beautiful image on the clothing. Once piece stood out to me the most. It was a stunning pink piece that was folded and pleated to create an Asian influence. Sparkling beads and sequins created patterns of leaves and organic flowers all over the skirt suit.

Christian Dior - Haute couture 2007 - Paris - P. OReilly

The house of Dior will be going through a lot of changes with the recent departure of John Galliano. I am excited to see what is in store next for the iconic brand!

3 comments:

  1. I am too! I loved Galliano's work, but have noticed he's repeated a lot of ideas/themes from past collections, it felt like he was starting to run out of ideas. Am excited to see what Riccardo Tisci has to bring to the table. I loved his collections for Givenchy. Hopefully it's a good fit for the House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. What great pictures, thank you for sharing them. I'm with you, couture is so amazing. I just watched a documentary on Yves Saint Laurent and I loved watching the seamstresses work. It was fascinating. I found you through a Google search when I was looking up Lesage and I really like your blog so I'm following starting now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to go to Paris and I love French couture, so I love looking at all your photos that are all amazing. Love this site,..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete